Live-in care is when a professional carer comes to live in the client’s home and provides care during the daytime hours when the client is awake. During the night, the carer can be woken up for occasional unforeseen circumstances, such as going to the toilet. Live-in care is perfect for elderly people who require care and support during the daytime but not so much at night.
Overnight care is when a professional carer is on shift for care and support duties during the night. This home care service is particularly helpful for people who do not need daytime support, either on a short-term or long-term basis.
How does 24-hour care work?
24-hour care can be a long-term or a short-term care solution. Typically, with 24-hour care, two professional carers will be involved in the care of your loved one. Shift hours and patterns will be arranged depending on the individual circumstances.
Usually, with 24-hour care, one carer will come to live in your loved one’s home and will be on shift during the daytime hours. During the night, they will sleep in the home while a second carer comes to cover the nighttime care duties.
24-hour care is not just for support with a health condition; carers can support your loved one with any daily task required to live safely and comfortably at home.
A Country Cousins carer can help with:
- Support with bathing, dressing, shaving and toileting.
- Mobility support. Help to move safely around the home to maintain physical activity whilst minimising risks.
- Running errands, such as collecting prescriptions, food shopping and arranging appointments.
- Help around the home, whether cooking meals, vacuuming, doing the laundry, or walking the dog.
- Preparing nutritious homemade meals to support optimum health.
- Companionship and emotional support. Most of our carers become more like friends to the people they support, a trusted friend who can be relied upon.
Is 24-hour care an alternative to care homes?
24-hour care is a real alternative to residential care – whether that be a nursing home or care home. The vast majority of older adults state that given the choice, they would prefer to remain living at home rather than move into a residential care home. With home care, this wish can be a reality.
Not only is home care the preferred way to receive care and support, but the quality of personalised care provided is hard to beat in a residential care setting. With 24-hour care, your loved one receives one-to-one support that is tailored to the needs and wishes of your loved one. With residential care, carers divide their time and attention between many residents.
To learn more about comparing home care to care homes, see our Live-in Care or a Care Home Comparison Guide.
The benefits of 24-hour care
There are many benefits to receiving 24-hour care at home.
Some of those benefits include:
- Total peace of mind for all the family knowing your loved one is cared for round-the-clock.
- The ability to live independently in a much-loved home.
- The cost of 24-hour care is often similar to those associated with residential care but with the added benefit of one-to-one care.
- Personalised care is tailored exactly to the needs and wishes of your loved one.
- Flexibility and continuity of care. As needs change, so does the care you receive.
- Comfort and security of living in familiar surroundings surrounded by memories and loved ones.
- Avoid the disruption of moving and the separation from pets, spouse, neighbours and community.
Costs of 24-hour care
A common misconception is that 24-hour care is more expensive than living in a residential nursing home. In reality, the cost of providing each type of care is similar, but with home care, you get personalised one-to-one care and support tailored exactly to your needs and wishes.
The cost of 24-hour care can vary depending on your loved one’s needs. To find out the cost of 24-hour care for your loved one, get in touch for a no-obligation quotation.
We’ve put together a simple spreadsheet to help you map out the cost of your care, including visiting care, live-in care or care home care cost comparisons. Download the Cost of Care Calculator here. For further information on cost comparisons of different types of care, read our Guide to the True Cost of Care.
24-hour care with Country Cousins
We are the UK’s longest-serving introductory live-in care agency, providing compassion care to people in their own homes since 1959. Our 65 years of experience enables us to provide the best standard of care to your loved one so they can live life to the fullest.
Call our experienced team today on 01293 224706 to discuss your 24-hour care needs and receive a free no-obligation quote. Alternatively, complete our online enquiry form, and we will be in touch soon.