Do you want to become a Country Cousin?

Frequently asked questions

To help you decide whether Country Cousins is the agency for you, we have put together a list of frequently asked questions.

How do I register with Country Cousins?


As our carers work independently within a client’s own home it is essential that we complete a robust selection process.

This includes a face-to-face interview, Induction process, reference checks and a DBS and or PVG (Criminal records checks).

To be shortlisted for interview you will need to meet the following criteria in full:

  • Proof of Eligibility to work in the UK

  • Agreement to complete the relevant DBS/PVG checks

  • A minimum of 6 months’ experience in a regulated care environment

  • 2 Professional References, one must be from your current or previous employer

  • Evidence of professional development including any training certificates.

What assignments are available?


We only offer live-in care assignments which are Nationwide. You will live in the client’s home and be on hand to help provide care, cook for them and undertake household tasks. Assignments are typically 2-6 weeks’ long.

What are the pay rates?


From 30 April 2019 our daily rates range between £88-£121 per day, meaning you can earn up to £3,388 in a 4-week assignment.

You can also claim travel expenses and will get accommodation and food paid for by the clients.

Bank Holiday pay rates are double.

What else is paid for?


Travel allowance – This should always be agreed in advance of the assignment. You can charge for travel on arrival and departure.

Client meals – Carers are there to prepare meals for the client(s) they are looking after; should additional family members, or guests, wish to have food prepared then this needs to be agreed in advance.

Work & rest time – Though live-in care is unmeasured work, daily average hours should be a maximum of 10 hours care, plus a 2-hour break at a time suitable to the Client. Should care be required during this period additional support should be arranged.

Wake fee - If you are woken during the night by the client, you can charge a “waking fee”. This charge is set at £11 for a single call and raises to a maximum of £22 should several calls occur. Multiple awakenings need to be reported to the office.

The carer is responsible for invoicing clients directly each week for any expenses.

Who can apply?


If you meet the following criteria, we would love to hear from you:

  • Do you have the right to work in the UK?

  • Do you have at least 6 months’ experience and possess up to date training certificates or be willing to pay for training?

  • Are you well-spoken, and fluent in written and spoken English?

  • Are you organised, with effective communication and reporting skills?

  • Are you honest, kind, respectful, gentle in nature and above all, always prepared to go the extra mile for clients?

  • Are you happy to provide care for clients, including those with dementia?

  • Are you physically fit and able to cope with demanding daily routines and household tasks?

  • Do you possess good cooking skills and have experience running and maintaining a home?

  • Do you like animals and are you happy to in a house with pets? This is desirable but not compulsory.

  • Do you hold a valid a driving license? This is desirable but not compulsory.


Only those with a British/EU Passport or a British Ancestry Visa may apply to become a carer. Country Cousins cannot sponsor applicants or assist those needing to obtain a work visa.

Do I need experience?


Yes – you need to have a minimum of 6 months’ experience in a regulated care environment and evidence of professional development including any training certificates.

Do you sponsor carers from overseas?


No, we are unable to sponsor applicants or assist those needed to obtain a work visa. Only those with a British/EU Passport or a British Ancestry Visa may apply to become a carer with Country Cousins.

Can I apply if I am living overseas?


Yes, providing that you have the following:

  • Proof of your right to work in the UK

  • A police check from home

  • A transferable DBS (if you don’t have one we can help you get one)

  • A current CV or completed application form

  • Any relevant training certificates

  • Contact details of three professional references.


How long is a typical assignment?


Assignments are typically 2-6 weeks in duration.


What documents will I need to register?


Once you have been interviewed and are accepted to register with us, to become compliant you will need to provide:

  • Proof of your right to work in the UK

  • A local police-check from home if you have lived outside the UK within the last 12 months which needs to be dated within the last 3 months)

  • A transferable DBS certificate

  • Training certificates

  • Proof of address, i.e. a utility bill

Are you interested in career opportunities with Country Cousins? Just click here to enquire now.

Here is just a small sample of our client and carer feedback:

The best cook ever

[our current carer] is the best and most friendly and the best cook that we have ever had and the most modest! We are very grateful for all that you help us with.

Anonymous - client rep, 2020

Keep up-to-date with the latest news from Country Cousins

liveincarehub logo WHITE.png

© Country Cousins 2020

  • cc-blog
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn Social Icon