Becoming a live-in carer with Country Cousins
Not only must you be a competent carer, you need to be a homemaker and comfortable in the kitchen. You should be able to fit in effortlessly with the client’s home life and have an excellent disposition, as well as the ability to become a friend and companion to those who share your client’s life.
You will be responsible for working independently and unsupervised in the client’s home, and so the ability to cope with various degrees of dependency and medical needs is fundamental. You may be called upon to provide Alzheimer’s or dementia care and quite often you will need to work alongside other care agencies or medical professionals including Marie Curie, Macmillan and District Nurses.
Whilst all our Country Cousins are unique, they share some common values:
- They have a passion for enhancing their clients’ lives and enabling them to stay in their own home.
- They want to fit well into the client’s home whilst maintaining full respect for their client’s personal space and precious belongings.
- They want to ensure that they deliver the best possible private home care and that they have attended the latest training.
- They have the ability to work closely with the client and their representatives and family to provide the best possible service, taking the lead when necessary.
- They are professionals and proud of this!
As our Cousins work independently within a client’s own home it is essential that we complete a robust selection process. This includes a face-to-face interview, Induction process, reference checks and a DBS and or PVG (criminal records checks).
To be shortlisted for interview you will need to meet the following criteria in full:
- Proof of Eligibility to work in the UK
- Agreement to complete the relevant DBS/PVG checks
- A minimum of 6 months’ experience in a regulated care environment
- 2 Professional References, one must be from your current or previous employer
- Evidence of professional development including any training certificates.
The training required is:
- Manual Handling
- Basic First Aid
- Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults